I grew up reading comic books wanting to be a superhero. Comics taught me that those who speak the truth are heroes, all the rest are liars.

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

God Told Me To Tell You

God Told me to tell you to stop Bu$h from funding Pat Robertson's faith-based initiative to the tune of 14+ million a year! Okay so it really wasn't god but close enough:
By now you've heard again and again about Pat Robertson's hateful and divisive rhetoric -- calling for the assassination of foreign leaders, asserting that Prime Minister Sharon's stroke occurred because he was "dividing God's land," and so on.
But would you believe that the federal government continues to fund Robertson's "Operation Blessing ?" According to a recent press report, under George W. Bush's faith-based initiative, "the group's annual revenue from government grants has ballooned from $108,000 to $14.4 million."

So whattaya waiting for...lightning to strike...go sign!

Between 100 and 300 people are killed each year in the United States from lightning and another 1,500 are injured. It is estimated that at any given time, 2,000 thunderstorms are occurring on earth and that lightning strikes the ground about 100 times per second. According to National Weather Service statistics, the average number of lightning fatalities in the U.S. for the last 10 years was 70. The number of fatalities has been steadily dropping. The average in the 1940s was over 300 per year. Last year there were only 41 lightning fatalities. However a recent study found that lightning deaths may be underreported by as much as 30 %. About 20% of people who are struck by lightning are killed - most survive! The chances of anyone being struck by lightning is 1 in 600,000. But once hit by lightening, your chances of being hit a second time go up by 50%.

No comments: