- Asked if 20,000+ additional troops should be sent to Iraq, 66% of Americans said no. [CBS News Transcripts, 1/22/07]
- A Newsweek poll showed that 68 percent of Americans oppose Mr. Bush's plan to send more troops to Iraq. [NBC News Transcripts, 1/20/07]
- A Fox poll found that 59 percent of the American people are against sending more troops to Iraq. [Fox News, 1/20/07]
Yet, on February 5, 2007, the Senate voted to stop the Senate from considering a bi-partisan resolution opposing President Bush's plan to send 21,500 additional combat troops to Iraq. The procedural vote was 11 short of the 60 needed to begin debate on the bipartisan resolution.
Disapproving of the decision of the President announced on January 10, 2007, to deploy more than 20,000 additional United States combat troops to Iraq.
Resolved by the House of Representatives (the Senate concurring), That—
(1) Congress and the American people will continue to support and protect the members of the United States Armed Forces who are serving or who have served
bravely and honorably in Iraq; and
(2) Congress disapproves of the decision of President George W. Bush announced on January 10, 2007, to deploy more than 20,000 additional United States combat troops to Iraq.
The same Republicans that blocked this resolution are willing to send tens of thousands more troops to face danger and death, then to see them return home to inadequate care and slashed veteran benefits...
What frightens me more is the belief by many (myself included) that the 'surge' will end up in Iran.... Bu$hCo's inability to understand the area, culture, people coupled with their complete lack of any cohesive long term foreign policy, and refusal to work within the established diplomatic community will only put more strain in a powder-cake area...to my way of thinking this administration is striking matches in a gas filled room...it's only a matter of time.
Are we going to sit around one more time while Bu$hCo puts into even more war entanglements in the middle east? It's time to pull the plug...heck...it's 4 years past the time to shut her down.